Lots of “May the 4th Be With You!” posts on facebook and tweets on Twitter today. God I love my geeky husband and friends. I new it was fate when I tuned into Friday’s DVR’d episode of The Chew and Clinton Kelly showcased the Star Wars Cookbook in honor of May the 4th Be With You! day – Chewbacca showed up on The Chew set and gave some cooking tips :).
We just happen to own that exact cookbook. Dan got it as a birthday gift several years ago. I flipped through the pages and I know I just made cookies for my last post, but I happened to have all of the ingredients and I knew Dan and I both had separate hangout plans with friends, so I needed something quick and transportable to celebrate this glorious day.
- 2 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter – Room Temp.
- 1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Milk Chocolate Chip – I used a bar
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – I used a bar
Just in case you missed it, I would like to point out that Chewie is indeed standing in the brown sugar.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Place the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Stir with the wooden spoon until well mixed. Set aside.
- Put the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in another mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat together until well blended and creamy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and stir with the wooden spoon until blended. Stir in chocolate chips/pieces. I used a Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet bar and a Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate and Caramel bar because it’s what I had on hand.
- Scoop up a rounded tablespoonful of the dough and drop onto a baking sheet. Repeat until you have used up all the dough. Be sure to leave about 1 inch between the cookies because they spread as they bake.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling racks.
(Makes about 3 dozen) – I tend to like bigger cookies… so I only got about 2 dozen.
There is something so awesome about Chewie guarding the stack of cookies with his bowcaster. As for cookie success and flavor – I loved the addition of cinnamon to what is pretty similar to my “go to” chocolate chip cookie recipe. I am a fan of a crispier chocolate chip cookie… if I want doughy, I just eat the dough, ha! ha!. How about you? Thin and crispy or thick and chewy?
Did you know? The creation of Chewbacca’s character was inspired by George Lucas seeing his own dog “Indiana” sitting in the passenger seat of his car. George’s pup also inspired the name of the lead character in Lucas’ film series Indiana Jones.